Science Writer/Account Manager (Marketing Communications)
B2B Marketing Agency
(Office is near Southampton)
|Salary:||Dependent on background and experience|
|Benefits:||Benefits include: workplace pension; 25 days holiday; 1 day paid Charity Day; work from home flexibility; easy working environment|
|Keywords:||Science Writer; Life Science; Molecular Biology; Genomics; PR; Marketing Agency; Technical Writing; Science Communications; PhD; Account Executive; Account Manager; Account Handler; Client Management|
Now in our 19th year, Alto is a well-established life science and healthcare B2B marketing communications agency, surviving and prospering through economic crashes and pandemics! Our client base of UK and international companies ranges from global corporations to start-ups and many have been working with us for a long time – some for over 15 years. That’s because we’re good at what we do, we’re enthusiastic, have in-depth scientific knowledge, great writing and marketing skills, and provide an excellent client service. What’s not to like?!
We are looking for a PhD-qualified life scientist* who can write really well, liaise with clients, media, suppliers, and work closely with others in the team. We’re replacing someone who is leaving us after 4½ years, so our ideal candidate has great (life) science knowledge, a sound commercial understanding, a customer-focused approach, and can take responsibility for managing projects from day one. Similar experience in scientific marketing is therefore preferable, but not essential for someone with the right approach.
*possibly BSc/MSc if the candidate has thorough understanding of the scientific areas below and is already a great writer.
Our clients’ products/services cover a range of scientific areas mainly in life sciences and healthcare. So, you must have an interest in all the sciences and be able to quickly understand the benefits of complex technical products and applications in, for example:
- Genomics, molecular biology/molecular diagnostics, drug discovery
- General life science/biotech (and clinical) laboratory
- Analytical science, materials science
A broad range of communications, which may involve researching technical topics and interviewing researchers/key opinion leaders about their work. Includes:
- Press releases
- Articles, case studies, white papers
- SEO-optimised web text; blogs/tweets
- Promotional sales materials
Managing and prioritising concurrent projects in integrated content marketing programmes for a number of clients, ensuring activities are completed on time, on budget and on brief. Requires the ability to build excellent client and media relationships. Over time, we would expect this person to be able to develop proposals/presentations for marketing communications programmes, covering messaging, strategy and tactics.
Liaison and relationship-building with our clients’ target media and pitching/placing articles.
The COVID-19 crisis means we have had to work from home…and the good news is…it works. So, this is predominantly a home-based role. That said, when safety permits, we would like to meet in person and work together from time to time, so there would be occasional or regular trips to the office (we are flexible and the frequency would depend on where the successful candidate lives).
- Science PhD (in a “hard” science like molecular biology/biochemistry/cell biology rather than eg ecology, animal behaviour etc), with good, practical lab experience of a number of life science tools and techniques
- Excellent English grammar and scientific marketing writing ability/potential
- Must be able to apply scientific understanding to a range of complex (life) science topics, using research skills to get up to speed with unfamiliar areas
- Outstanding attention to detail (spotting typos etc)
- A flexible working approach and ‘can-do’ personality
- The ability to prioritise and deliver multiple projects
- Self motivated and reliable with an enthusiastic, proactive approach
- Ability to work well with others in teams
- Ability to think creatively
- Additional marketing qualification
Start date asap
Please send a covering email explaining why you’re right for the role, your CV and ideally some examples of similar writing projects to: email@example.com