Science Writer – Marketing Communications
B2B Marketing Agency
Negotiable. Mainly home-based/remote or office
From £25,000 (PhD level), dependent on experience
|Benefits:||Benefits include: workplace pension; 25 days holiday; 1 day paid Charity Day; work from home flexibility; easy working environment|
|Keywords:||Science Writer; Life Science; Molecular Biology; Genomics; PR; Marketing Agency; Technical Writing; Science Communications; PhD|
Start date: ASAP
TO APPLY: Read the job description and then send your CV, a covering email explaining why you’re right for the role, and if possible, some examples of similar writing projects to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Now in our 20th year, Alto is a well-established B2B marketing communications agency and we have survived and prospered through economic crashes and pandemics! Our client base of UK and international companies ranges from global corporations to start-ups, and many have been working with us for a long time – some for over 15 years. That’s because we’re good at what we do, we’re enthusiastic, have in-depth scientific knowledge, great writing and marketing skills, and provide an excellent client service. What’s not to like?!
The COVID-19 crisis means we have had to work from home…and the good news is…it works. So, this is predominantly a home-based role. That said, when safety permits, we think it’s a good thing to meet in person from time to time and so depending on where the successful candidate lives, there may be occasional or regular trips to the office – we are flexible.
We are looking for a PhD-qualified life scientist who can write really well, and importantly enjoys the writing process. You’re someone who loves to find out and write about cutting-edge products, technologies and applications, and you’ll also be happy dealing with clients, interviewing customers etc. It’s likely that you’ve just finished your PhD and you’re looking for the next step, though if you’ve got experience in a similar role, it would be good to hear from you.
Working with the Account Managers – mostly remotely through Microsoft Teams/email/mobiles etc – you will work on varied writing projects. These involve a wide variety of writing styles, involving promotional and/or informational content – anything from press releases to white papers and promotional sales materials. For promotional content you’ll need to:
- Consider the people that you’re writing for – what they need from the products and services they use in their work and what will interest them
- Translate product features into user benefits and always ask yourself the “so what?” question; ie how does a product feature help a scientist in their day-to-day work?
- Be creative. Sometimes you’ll need to “re-purpose” a story many times
Because our clients’ products/services cover a range of scientific areas, and this can change as we get new clients on board, you must have an interest in all the sciences and be able to quickly understand the benefits of complex technical products and applications in eg:
- Genomics, molecular biology/molecular diagnostics
- Drug discovery
- General life science/biotech (and clinical) laboratory
- Cell and gene therapies
- Science PhD (in a “hard” science like molecular biology/biochemistry/cell biology rather than eg ecology, animal behaviour etc), with good, practical lab experience of a number of life science tools and techniques
- Excellent English grammar and scientific marketing writing ability/potential
- Must be able to apply scientific understanding to a range of complex (life) science topics, using research skills to get up to speed with unfamiliar areas
- Outstanding attention to detail (spotting typos etc)
- A flexible working approach and ‘can-do’ personality
- The ability to prioritise and deliver multiple projects
- Self motivated and reliable with an enthusiastic, proactive approach
- Ability to work well with others in teams