Science Writer – Marketing Communications
B2B Marketing Agency
(Office is near Southampton)
|Salary:||From £25,000 (PhD level), dependent on experience|
|Benefits:||Benefits include: workplace pension; 25 days holiday; 1 day paid Charity Day; work from home flexibility; easy working environment|
|Keywords:||Science Writer; Life Science; Molecular Biology; Genomics; PR; Marketing Agency; Technical Writing; Science Communications; PhD|
The COVID-19 crisis means we have had to work from home…and the good news is…it works. So, this is predominantly a home-based role. Depending on where the successful candidate lives, there may be occasional or regular trips to the office – we are flexible.
We are looking for a PhD-qualified life scientist* who can write really well, and importantly enjoys the writing process. You’re someone who loves to find out and write about cutting-edge products, technologies and applications, and you’ll also be happy dealing with clients, interviewing customers etc. We’re looking for someone who can contribute from day one, so ideally you’ll have previous experience of writing scientific marketing communications (not the same as writing peer review papers).
*possibly BSc/MSc if the candidate has thorough understanding of the scientific areas below and is already a great writer.
Working with the Account Managers – mostly remotely through Microsoft Teams/email/mobiles etc – you will work on varied writing activities, involving research into technical topics, interviewing active researchers/key opinion leaders about their work and liaison with clients and the science trade media.
The projects involve a wide variety of writing styles, involving promotional and/or informational content – anything from press releases to white papers and promotional sales materials. For promotional content you’ll need to:
- Consider the people that you’re writing for – what they need from the products and services they use in their work and what will interest them
- Translate product features into user benefits and always ask yourself the “so what?” question; ie how does a product feature help a scientist in their day-to-day work?
- Be creative. Sometimes you’ll need to “re-purpose” a story many times
Because our clients’ products/services cover a range of scientific areas, and this can change as we get new clients on board, you must have an interest in all the sciences and be able to quickly understand the benefits of complex technical products and applications in eg:
- Genomics, molecular biology/molecular diagnostics
- Drug discovery
- General life science/biotech (and clinical) laboratory
- Cell and gene therapies
- Science PhD (in a “hard” science like molecular biology/biochemistry/cell biology rather than eg ecology, animal behaviour etc), with good, practical lab experience of a number of life science tools and techniques
- Excellent English grammar and scientific marketing writing ability/potential
- Must be able to apply scientific understanding to a range of complex (life) science topics, using research skills to get up to speed with unfamiliar areas
- Outstanding attention to detail (spotting typos etc)
- A flexible working approach and ‘can-do’ personality
- The ability to prioritise and deliver multiple projects
- Self motivated and reliable with an enthusiastic, proactive approach
- Ability to work well with others in teams
Start date ASAP
Please send your CV, some examples of similar writing projects and a covering email explaining why you’re right for the role to: