Science Writer/Account Executive (Science, PhD level)
Type: Full time; 12 months fixed-term, likely to extend
Location: Nr Southampton
Benefits: Include: workplace pension; 25 days holiday; 1 day paid Charity Day; some ability to work from home
Keywords: Science Writer; Account Executive; Life Science; Molecular Biology; PR; Marketing Agency; Technical; PhD
Learn about marketing in the scientific environment. We are looking for a PhD-qualified life scientist – someone who loves to find out and write about cutting-edge products, technologies and applications. You’ll also be dealing with clients and managing projects. This is a full time position initially for one year, though we expect to make it permanent.
Working with the Account Managers and others in the team (we have 4 x PhDs), you will take on responsibility for varied writing activities, involving research into technical topics, interviewing active researchers/key opinion leaders about their work and liaison with clients and the science trade media.
The projects involve a wide variety of writing styles, providing a balance between promotional and informational content and include:
- Press releases
- Articles, Case studies, White papers
- Web text
- Promotional sales materials
Our science clients’ products/services cover a range of scientific areas – mostly, but not exclusively in the life sciences. So you must have an interest in all the sciences and be able to quickly understand the benefits of complex technical products and applications in for example:
- Genomics, molecular biology/molecular diagnostics
- Drug discovery
- General life science/biotech (and clinical) laboratory
- Analytical science
- Materials science
You’ll also be involved with working with clients and the media, so you will be conversing with all types of people.
- ESSENTIAL: Science PhD (eg in “hard” science like molecular biology/biochemistry/cell biology rather than eg ecology, animal behaviour etc)
- Excellent English grammar and scientific marketing writing ability/potential
- Must be able to apply scientific understanding to a range of complex (life) science topics, using research skills to get up to speed with unfamiliar areas
- Outstanding attention to detail (spotting typos etc)
- A flexible working approach and ‘can-do’ personality
- The ability to prioritise and deliver multiple projects
- Self motivated and reliable with an enthusiastic, proactive approach
- Happy to work with sometimes demanding clients
- Demonstrable ability to work well with others in teams
Start date asap
Contact David now on 01489 557672.